Accepted, Oriented, Now What?

Accepted, Oriented, Now What?

By Brett Coleman

You’ve been accepted as a new student at Dixie State University, you’ve visited Trailblazer Nation, you’ve attended orientation, and you probably feel pretty ready to start school, right? So, now what?

I could list 100 different things you could to do to be ready to start college. Everything from taking last-minute adventures with friends to packing the right things for your first apartment and more could make the list, but here are my top three suggestions of what to do before you begin classes at Dixie State.

The three-day course covers different learning styles, time-management skills (trust me you need them), and how to be a fully engaged member of the DSU community.

It’s the biggest freshman-only event and the best way to kick off your journey as a Dixie State Trailblazer! Not only is it an awesome welcome to campus, but you’ll also take your class picture and get your first Trailblazer T-shirt. Plus, word on the street is that this year, Dixie State University’s Student Association, “DSUSA,” (aka student government) will be hosting a campus-wide round of the popular night game Fugitive. Knowing DSUSA, I’m sure awesome prizes await the winners!

Lastly, and this one is a bit more generic but still just as important …

OK, so maybe I’m a little hyperactive but it’s way easier to be really prepped and ready before you move to school. Trust me, I decided last minute (the day school started) to enroll in classes and it was a whirlwind not having everything ready to go. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

Ultimately, know this, there is so much excitement, adventure and memories to be had at DSU. This is an amazing time in life to broaden your worldview, make lasting friendships and even (dare I say it?) fail. It’s a time of growth, learning and lots of fun.

So … from one Trailblazer to another, welcome to Dixie State. We’re excited to have you!

[Pro Tip: If you feel like you’re in over your head the first week of school, just breathe, we’ve all been there.]

[one_fourth]

[/one_fourth]

[three_fourth]

Brett Coleman is a proud Dixie State Trailblazer and the reigning Mr. Dixie. He can be found enjoying #thedixielife on campus, performing and touring with Raging Red or eating more than his fair share of French fries at local eateries. Brett is majoring in communications and aspires to work at Disney Theatrical Group in New York City.

[/three_fourth]