DSU to have more candidates than any other school in the state for Miss Utah Scholarship Competition

By Allie Garrow, UMAC Intern

Did you know that this year, we have more candidates representing Dixie State than any other school in the state of Utah -Woohoo!

From June 10th-12th, our 9 talented Trailblazers will be strutting across the stage at the Covey Center for the Arts in Provo, for the title of Miss Utah. The beauty queen to take the crown will go on to represent the state of Utah in the Miss America pageant happening this December in Connecticut, at the Mohegan Sun.

The “Atlantic City’s Inter-City Beauty Contest,”  known as the first Miss America Pageant, was started by local businessmen in an effort to extend the shore tourism season past Labor Day. On September 8, 1921, sixteen-year-old Margaret Gorman was crowned the “Golden Mermaid.” It wasn’t until 1922 that the Boardwalk contest formally became “Miss America!”

Today, the Miss America Organization is a nationally recognized non-profit and serves as one of the largest providers of scholarship assistance to young women in the world. The mission to prepare great women for the world and prepare the world for great women comes to fruition through the thousands of young women across America working to better their communities through service and scholarship.

Not only do our 9 Trailblazers twinkle on stage, but also have played a huge part in giving back to the community in their own unique ways. Scroll on to learn more about our stellar stars see how they’re making an impact around Southern Utah.

Macee Adamson
Miss Eastern Utah

Sophie Baker
Miss Northern Utah

Hillary Beecher
Miss Southern Utah

McKenna Hodge
Miss Red Rocks

Megan Mower
Miss Carbon County

Morgan Olson
Miss Dixie State University

Emrie Robinson
Miss Beaver County

Axuray Talbot
Miss South Valley

Brenley Veater
Miss Garfield County

Let's meet our classy contestants:

Morgan Olson - Miss Dixie State University

Our very own Miss Dixie State University, Morgan Olson is candidate #31 in the 2021 Miss Utah pageant. Morgan will be a junior this upcoming fall semester as she’s taken interest in Communication Studies.

You can find our pageant queen highly involved around campus as she’s held two campus wide service projects for our local hospital, pediatric offices, and crises center resulting in 70 hand-sewn courage capes, 65 hand tied fleece blankets, 381 activity kits, and hundreds of handwritten letters to be donated to children in crises.

Morgan has also had the wonderful opportunity to be one of four students to meet personably with the senate President and numerous Utah senators to lobby for HB278, Dixie State name change, featured in numerous university publications and recruitment videos, emcee Dixie’s Got Talent, Mr. Dixie, judge D-Queen, serve as Vice President in a club with over 380 members, and was nominated as one of the top five finalist for Female Student of the Year 2021. -Way to go Morgan!

“The miss America Organization has given me numerous opportunities to serve my community. It’s much more than a crown and scholarship. It helps young women find a true sense of altruism and find numerous organizations and projects that they’re fond of. MAO and DSU truly embody the trailblazer attitude of blazing one’s own trial. I am most looking forward to representing this institution that I love so much. I can’t wait to be able to represent my fellow trailblazers ad show Utah what Dixie State is made of!”

Social Impact Initiative: Hospital Heroes
Talent: Acro – “Can’t Help Falling in Love”

Macee Adamson - Miss Eastern Utah

Candidate #2; Macee Adamson will be entering her sophomore year this upcoming fall and has taken interest in Speech Pathology as her major. Macee has experience as a Dixie State Ambassador, and gave tours to future trailblazers and their families.

Macee has been involved with 4-H since she was eight years old and a mentor that made a huge impact on her life, inspiring her to become a mentor once she aged out of the program. “When I did this, it was like a whole other world opened up to me. I began to attend multiple leadership trainings and started mentoring kids from across the state of Utah.”

Her participation with the 4-H program led her on an adventure at headquarters located in Washington D.C. twice on scholarship and also got to attend the Denver, Colorado 4-H public speaking competition. Macee says that whether you are interested in agriculture, music, or leadership, there is something for you at 4-H and is why her social impact initiative is titled “In 4-H, Mentors and Mentees Matter, Relationships Empower”.

“My time at Dixie State and being an ambassador has given me lots of experience talking with different people and answering questions. This ability will come in handy when competing in the interview portions of Miss Utah, and interacting with all the contestants!”

Social Impact Initiative: In 4-H, Mentors and Mentees Matter, Relationships Empower
Talent: Vocal – “Imagine” by John Lennon

Sophie Baker - Miss Northern Utah

Candidate #41; Sophie Baker is a Farmington, Utah native who decided to chase the sun, scholarships, and take advantage of all that Dixie State has to offer. Sophie is a busy sophomore as she’s working on a major in Marketing and taking on two minors in both Accounting and Spanish.

When Sophie’s not hitting the books, you can find her playing the saxophone, participating in DECA, exercising at the HPC, paddle boarding on the lake or teaching classes in the community on self-image. Sophie’s social impact initiative is titled “Self-image – Find Your Filter” which focuses on helping young girls find their true identities.

“Being a Trailblazer has taught me to push myself and to take advantage of every opportunity possible. Being a Trailblazer has also taught me to live in the moment. Both of these are skills I plan on bringing with me to Miss Utah as I compete for the job of a lifetime. The world is at my fingers, and I am forever thankful that my journey started at Dixie State.”

Social Impact Initiative: Self-Image – Find Your Filter
Talent: Saxophone – “Let’s Get Loud” by Jennifer Lopez

Hillary Beecher - Miss Southern Utah

Candidate #23; Hillary Beecher is a native of St. George, Utah and Dixie State graduate with a degree in Biology and Biomedical Science emphasis.

As a little girl, Hillary found excitement in and naturally gravitated towards math and science classes, pushing her to pursue a degree in the STEM field. “Over the years I’ve held various medical jobs and have had various medical service opportunities. Both have ensured me that I’m on the right path.”

After graduating, Hillary found herself continually craving involvement in service and leadership. As the Miss America Organization made some adjustments and focuses on female empowerment and education, Hillary knew she had to be a part of this community.

“Today, I am honored to hold the title of Miss Southern Utah. I am proud to be representing such a tight knit, kind hearted community and a University I love at this year’s miss Utah Scholarship Competition. I am feeling more prepped than ever for this competition, not only because of my amazing support team, but because of the experience I was given at DSU. Thank you to every professor, advisor, staff and team member, student leader, classmates, lab partner, and friends who saw my potential and pushed me to be where I am today. I would not have accomplished half of what I have if it weren’t for you.”

Social Impact Initiative: Safe Scrolling – Stay Safe While Social Scrolling
Talent: Monologue – “A Road Less Traveled”

McKenna Hodge - Miss Red Rocks

Candidate #48; McKenna Hodge is our hometown girl from Hurricane, Utah serving as Miss Red Rocks in the Miss America Organization.

With the social impact initiative titled “Anywhere They Go”, McKenna actively strives to support our troops and veterans by bridging the gap between civilians and our service men and women. She hopes to educate, inspire, and serve the community, as she has had her hand in many projects over the last few years including speaking to our youth during the school year about the importance of patriotism, as well as helping establish a PTSD horse therapy program for our local veterans.

“The last 7 years as I have prepared for this competition have been nothing short of wonderful. My passion and driving force is my social impact initiative and I CANNOT wait to share that on stage. John F. Kennedy once said, “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live them.” Unity is key and freedom isn’t free. Whether they are in the line of duty or long returned home, we need to support our troops and veterans ANYWHERE THEY GO.

Social Impact Initiative: “Anywhere They Go” – Supporting Our Troops and Veterans
Talent: Musical Theatre Vocal – “I’ve Got Rhythm”

Megan Mower - Miss Carbon County

Candidate #32; Megan Mower is a joyful junior at Dixie State University studying Elementary Education as she holds a huge passion for kids and their well-being. Aside from school, Megan is a licensed cosmetologist and her favorite color is pink.

Megan’s social impact initiative is “F.E.E.L. for kids” which stands as an acronym for Feed, Entertain, Exercise, and Love. These are four ways which she believes will improve the well-being of today’s youth.

“I have had some amazing teachers who have inspired me to do better. Dixie State and all the palm trees have my heart. I am so excited to be at Miss Utah and start this amazing experience. I cannot wait to meet all of the girls and have an experience.”

Social Impact Initiative: F.E.E.L. For Kids
Talent: Piano – “Toccata”

Emrie Robinson - Miss Beaver County

Candidate #27; Emrie Robinson will be studying Chemistry as an incoming freshman this upcoming 2021 fall semester. “I’m so excited for this next step in my life! I love all things music, and the outdoors! If I could live at the lake, I would! I believe that DSU is going to help me achieve my goals that I have set and can’t wait for this upcoming school year.”

Unfortunately, due to personal events, Emrie decided to drop out of the Miss Utah competition.

We send her an abundance of love and support through these difficult times.

Social Impact Initiative: Break the Silence
Talent: Guitar/Vocal – “Far From Home”

Axuray Talbot - Miss Southern Valley

Candidate #46; Axuray Talbot will be competing at Miss Utah as Miss South Valley. As a sophomore at Dixie State and a second-year member of the Dixie Blaze Dance Team, her passion lies in Special Education and hopes to one day teach in a classroom of her own.

Axuray’s social impact initiative is called “Have Hope, Suicide Awareness and Prevention” as she supports her cause by dancing a lyrical piece titled, “You’re Going to Be Okay.” As a strong advocate for the SafeUT app, Axuray encourages all to download the free app which connects you to trailed professionals who are available 24/7. “There is hope, you are never alone, better days are always ahead ad remember you ARE loved!”

“I love dancing for DSU and enjoy supporting our school, especially at sporting events. Dancing with my team on the floor is the best feeling! I am so grateful for the Miss America Organization and the scholarships I have received. Being able to further my education in helping those with special needs is something that I am very passionate about and feel extremely lucky that this is being made possible through the Miss America Program.”

Social Impact Initiative: Have Hope – Suicide Awareness and Prevention
Talent: Lyrical Dance – “You’re Going to be Okay”

Brenley Veater - Miss Garfield County

Candidate #11; Brenley Veater is a triumphant trailblazer as she has managed to tackle 21 credits each semester, alongside Miss Garfield duties, a full-time job as a security analysis at a cybersecurity company, and being a dog mom. Brenley is currently in her junior year of college and as her passion lies with Information Technology.

“I would like to say Dixie has created that “Trailblazer” characteristic in me as I work my way to the top of a predominantly male industry. I am inspired to be like Grace Hopper, Anges Driscoll, or Elizabeth Friedman-all women that laid the rock foundation for the world of tech. My vision for doing that is through my Social Impact Initiative, Be Cyber S.M.A.R.T.. The cause of cyber attacks is, more often than not, human error. As the trillion-dollar CyberCrime industry surpasses the illegal drug trade, there needs to be more education for everyone on how to be safe in the cyber world. Be Cyber S.M.A.R.T takes high level attacks and creates educational lesson plans for the public to understand and circumvent future attacks.”

When Brenley isn’t on her grind, she enjoys exploring all the little crevices of Utah including activities such as rock climbing, snowboarding, camping, running, hiking, working out, painting, dancing, reading and writing. Brenley has always been a huge Buffalo Bills fan, and enjoys studying geology and astrology in her free time.

Social Impact Initiative: Be Cyber S.M.A.R.T
Talent: Lyrical Dance – “The Greatest Show”

Congratulations again to all our fabulous candidates, we are so excited to follow along! The fun begins June 10th and the winner will be announced June 12th. Help us cheer on our 9 candidates! GO TRAILBLAZERS!

To learn more, please visit https://missutah.org/