Utah Tech University students score big opportunity, join Super Bowl workforce for an unforgettable experience

By Sophie Sparks

24 Utah Tech University students had the opportunity to work at Super Bowl LVIII in Las Vegas.

This experience was made possible by Jin Woo Ahn, the assistant recreation and sports management professor, who emphasized the importance of hands-on experiences and networking.

“I acknowledge that many students pursuing a career in the sport industry may experience difficulties when taking the first step,” Ahn said. “I also experienced this when I was an undergraduate student, so I aimed to provide my students with as many industry experiences as possible.”

Ahn reached out to the Super Bowl LVII Phoenix volunteer coordinator, but their recruiting process had concluded by the time of the initial contact. After following up for the Super Bowl LVIII, the host committee not only reserved spots for Utah Tech students, but they also extended the offer of paid positions.

The host committee did not place a limit on the number of participants, but they indicated that students with strong work attitudes and a leadership style would be considered ideal candidates.

Students were assigned to various pre-Super Bowl event areas such as pre-game fan experiences and ticket entrance. Some of the responsibilities included guiding fans to pre-game parties, navigating the gameday experience through wayfinding and information booths, and more. 18 of the students participated on the day of the Super Bowl.

In addition, all of the students were involved in a networking event at UNLV where representatives from all of the NFL organizations were presented. Students had the opportunity to meet with about 500 students from various institutions, to network with industry professionals, and to engage in various industry discussions.

“Utah Tech University and I are aligned in our commitment to offering students experiential learning,” Ahn said. “Our motto, ‘active learning. active life’ empowers students to excel academically, in their careers, and personal pursuits. I firmly believe that engaging in and gaining prestigious industry experience from the Super Bowl fosters a proactive mindset that goes beyond the classroom, positively influencing students’ professional pursuits.”