Red Reef Trail Hike, St. George Utah

By Lauren Longpré

Hi, I'm Lauren!

What’s up Trailblazers, my name is Lauren Longpré and I’m here to tell you all about the fun things you can do in St. George this summer… and year-round really, because we live in the coolest place ever! Me and my friend Jake went exploring at Red Cliffs National Conservation Area and hiked the Red Reef Trail located right here in Southern Utah! This hike is located only 15 minutes from Utah Tech University’s campus. That feels like our literal backyard if you ask me.

Lauren and Jake at the top of the hike near the waterfall

Quick and Easy Hike

This trail is perfect for you and your best friends since it’s not too long, and it won’t take up your entire day. If you’re looking for a quick and fun hike, the Red Reed Trail can be done in under one hour. Just a quick two-mile hike, and you’ll be set to go get ice cream at your favorite place in town afterwards!

Lizards, Birds, Tadpoles, and MORE!

Jake was more adventurous on the hike than I was; He was trying to catch lizards basically the entire hike. All the wildlife is so cool to see! Once we got to the end of the hike near the waterfall, there were tadpoles in the water – they were tiny and so adorable. In this area you can find lizards, tadpoles, birds, snakes, and even mountain lions. That freaks me out! Luckily, we didn’t have any mountain lion encounters.

Total Cost of the Hiking Location

If you have the America the Beautiful National Parks Pass, this hike will be FREE for you. So, run don’t walk! If you don’t have the pass though, it only costs $5 to hike this location, which basically sounds like you need to gather four friends and you all pay $1 for a fun morning or afternoon hike.

Red Reef Trailhead

Time of Day and Time of Year to Hike Red Reef Trail

This hike is best in the warmer months because there is plenty of shade for you to cool off. If you decide to go on this hike, I highly recommend early spring month such as April or May because you’ll be more likely to see the waterfall flowing. This hike is perfect for the summer too because of all the natural shade from the beautiful red rock formations and trees.

We hiked this trail in the morning to beat the blazing sun, but a local hiker on the trail said that his favorite time of day to go on the hike is in the evening around 4 to 5 p.m. He said that if you can time it perfectly to make it to the waterfall at 5 p.m., the water will reflect onto the red rock formations around you and shimmer so beautifully. Catch us on the trail at 5 p.m. tomorrow! Oh, and make sure to bring your swimsuit or wear waterproof clothing if you’re looking to cliff jump. When the waterfall is flowing, lots of people jump off into the water. I was too chicken, but it was fun watching others who were so brave.

Red Cliffs National Conservation Area

Go Blaze Your Own Trail

One of my favorite things about this hike were all the different styles of cacti that were growing. There are also beautiful flowers on the hike that just smell amazing. Well, that’s it til’ next time, Trailblazers! Go blaze the Red Reef Trail at the Red Cliffs Conservation Area and thank me later!